The First Presbyterian Church of Cheraw was formed in 1828 when the Rev. Urias Powers gathered eleven Presbyterian, many of whom had arrived in Cheraw from North Carolina. One additional person joined by profession of faith giving the church twelve members at its outset. At that time, there were no organized churches in town although there were committed Christians living in the area. The church met on the second floor of the Cheraw Academical Society until 1932 when the present building was erected.
FPC has been blessed with long pastorates including one of fifty years in length. Thirteen ministers and three interim ministers have led the church in over 187 years of ministry.
Throughout its long history, First Presbyterian has had a tradition of excellence in organ, choral, and (in recent history) hand bell music, particularly in 1986 with the addition of The Memorial Organ built by Gabriel Kney & Co., of London, Ontario, Canada. Continuing in the tradition of excellence, a strong emphasis on Christian Education and missions to others both far and near have become vital parts of the church’s ministries. The strength of the church has always been in active members who have committed themselves to civic matters and remaining focused on doing the work that Jesus Christ calls us to do.